How Long Will a Tattoo Last – Will It Fade?
Getting a tattoo is one of the best and most enjoyable decisions you can make, and it is true that it is permanent ink on your body. Still, as time passes and the person’s body changes, the tattoo will fade and become less visible.
After a certain period of time, the top layer of the tattoo will start to fade, and a new layer of skin will be formed. This is when the tattoo will fade, and it won’t be in the same bright colors as always.
So, in this article, you will learn how long a tattoo will last on your skin and what to do to make it last longer.
How long will a tattoo last?
As we get older, it is common for our bodies to change, and in the same way, if you have tattoos on your body, you will also start seeing changes in them. The tattoos will definitely change over time, but the degree of change varies from time to time.
Some tattoos will take more than a couple of years to fade, so not all will fade quickly. If you got a tattoo when you were younger or in your teens, it will begin to fade when you are in your 40s or 50s. Not only will ageing cause the tattoo to fade, but so will a few other factors.
- One of the most common causes of tattoo fading is aging. The ageing will result in the stretching and loss of elasticity of the skin, so it will affect the appearance of the tattoo and its shape.
- The size of a tattoo, whether it is medium or larger, will undergo drastic changes only when the skin gets older. If the tattoo is small or intricate, then it will be affected even by the smallest changes in the skin. Larger tattoos with less detail and bolder lines will have less of an effect on skin aging.
- Ink quality also plays a major role in the fading of the tattoo, as if the ink has a high chemical content but low pigmentation, it will fade and start to lose its original appearance.
So, to the question of how long a tattoo will last, there is no exact answer. Depending on the type of tattoo and body changes, the tattoo will last, and if you do some aftercare, then it will last for a longer time.
What makes the tattoo fade over time?
The above reasons for tattoo fading are some of the most common reasons, but there are other external reasons that cause the fading of the tattoo.
The smoking will reduce the collagen production in the body, so the skin will lose its elasticity, and on the other hand, the tattoos will also start to lose their life. If you are a frequent smoker, then the tattoo will lose its original appearance very quickly.
- Excessive skin cleansing
Cleansing is the most important part of taking care of the skin, and there is a huge difference between cleansing and over-cleansing. If you over-cleanse the skin, then it will remove the barrier that protects the skin and cause irritation. This will cause the tattoo to fade and to lose its initial shine and vividness.
- improper aftercare routine
After getting the tattoo, it is important to do some aftercare, which includes washing the tattoo, moisturizing it, protecting the tattoo from the sun, and avoiding rubbing the tattoo area often.
Do you need to get the tattoo touched up?
Everyone wants to have their tattoo brighter and more beautiful permanently, but the changes over time, the body’s changes, and other factors will make the tattoo fade easily. So, the tattoo touchup is one of the best ideas to try if you want to keep the tattoo for a longer time.
In the tattoo touchup process, the tattoo artist will treat the tattoo with the same pigment of ink in the affected areas so that it will brighten up quickly. For this, you don’t have to treat the entire tattoo with ink; only treating the faded tattoo with ink is necessary.
All it takes is a few touch-ups to restore the tattoo’s vividness and brightness in a shorter period of time. When compared to the original cost of the tattoo, the touch-up cost won’t be much. So, it is the best idea to touch up your tattoo once in a while to make it look brighter and newer.
Things you should do to stop fading:
The tattoo fading is the unstoppable one, but if you follow certain routines, you can prevent the tattoo fading. Here are a few tips and tricks that will help reduce tattoo fading:
- Keep the tattoo area moisturized, and it should be kept away from the sun.
- Wear loose clothes, and avoid friction where the tattoo has been made.
- Don’t try to peel the tattoo, and don’t even try to scratch or pick the tattoo.
- If the tattoo is in the healing period, then you should avoid swimming.
- If you are exposing the tattoo to the outer area, then you should apply sunscreen.
- Avoid gaining excess weight.
- You can try to quit smoking and even drinking.
- Don’t try to over-cleanse or over-care for your skin.
- If you treat your body with healthy food, then it will reflect in the skin.
Apart from this aftercare routine, before getting the tattoo, try to choose a high-quality professional, as they will get the tattoo in high-quality ink. Make sure the tattoo designs are not so intricate and detailed. The tattoo should be done using the right sanitized tools, and if you make the tattoo in the right place, you can keep it for a longer time.
Yes, the tattoo can stay in the skin for a longer time, but the tattoo fading is inevitable. The fading of the tattoo is something normal, but you need to maintain it. Just follow the few tips recommended in the article; it will help to make your tattoo look brighter and more beautiful.
The Art of Flower Tattoos: Modern Ways to Express Yourself With Your Ink
A tattoo is a permanent ink design on your body that you keep for the rest of your life...
9 Reasons Why Snakes are a Great Tattoo style Idea for You
A tattoo is a mark on your body that you can’t change. It will be there forever, so you must choose wisely...
The Latest Tattoo Trends You Should Keep Your Eye On
New tattoo trends are popping up left, right and center. The old ‘sailor’s girlfriend’ kind of tattoos with anchors, hearts, swallows and other romantic symbols ..
- 15 Best Dream Catcher Tattoo Ideas
- Cover up Tattoos 5 Ways to Cover and old tattoo
- Tattoo rose Amazing Design for Women
- Medusa Tattoo: Embrace the Power and Beauty of Greek Mythology
- Unique Tattoos for Women Designs and Ideas 2023
- Geisha Tattoos: A Timeless Blend of Tradition and Artistry
- Justin Bieber’s Tattoos From Fresh Ink to Meaningful Designs: The Story Behind
- Heavenly Ink: Exploring the Timeless Beauty and Symbolism of Angel Tattoos
- Exploring the Mystical Powers of Yant Sumred: Unveiling the Secrets Behind its Symbolism
- Beyond Skin Deep: Behold the Most Striking Tattoos That Redefine the Art of Body Ink